Hi all! Just in case you are new to the blogs I will once again give a brief introduction to my project. I am currently doing research at the Royal “Dick” Veterinary School in Edinburgh, Scotland. I am working with two equine cardiologists on a retrospective study of left atrial size in horses with mitral valve disease. The study is comparing left atrial size to the severity of mitral valve disease to determine if it can be used for prognosis of horses with murmurs.
So, this last week I have spent many days in my dark, small measuring room trying to get through the horses as fast as possible. I am much faster this week at measuring and have been getting through about 5-6 horses a day. I finally finished the horses available here at the vet school today!! I am blinded to the horses condition, they have been randomized by the number of their storage disk. I have had to eliminate about half of the horses from the study due to poor quality images or missing views. I have to take multiple measurements on three different views for each horse. I look at a long axis left atrial view, long axis aorta, and short axis aorta and left atrium. Any horses missing their short axis view were eliminated from the study and horses with poor long axis images have been noted and may have to be excluded from statistics. Continue reading